Re: Supercharging...(long)

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Supercharging...(long)
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:39:55 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Okay.... lets delve into a little theory....

In a naturally aspirated engine when the piston comes down on the intake
stroke it creates a vacuum and ambient Pressure is excerted on the Fuel air
mixture..... in a Turbo/blower engine the Pressure is increased beyond that
of the atmosphere... with a Super charger or a Blower (same thing) you
mechanically drive the air through an impeller or a Rotor Via the Crank
Pulley.... it puts extreme stress on the front of the Crankshaft.... in a
Turbo charger it uses expanding Expent exhaust gases to drive the
impeller..... which as Dan says is a fancy air pump.... This Forcing of A/F
into the engine effectively increases the Cubic inches of the engine....
the next best part is where the fuel is actually used which is From Top
dead center to Center stroke of the Piston..... making these systems only
18-20% harder on the bottom end then the same engine at half the Hp..... (
all this assuming that you have a Killer bottom end to start with... not
one of the A series strong points)

the problem with both these systems is Detonation caused by to much timing
with increased boost or inadequate fuel.... and up to this point the real
problem was to create the correct air/fuel ratio through out the spectrum
of the motors RPM range..... in other words you could make it go fast or
make it Idle in traffic... but the two weren't synonymous with each
other....

With the advent of the electronic Fuel controls of today that have the
ability to Absolute Air/Fuel ratio's most of these problems are cared for
and some serious Hp is the net effect.

Neat stuff... over all but the problem I have with it in a Healey is that
isn't what the car is about.... it's about easy to work on non electronic
stuff that works because the builders designed it correctly..... but if
your after serious Performance beyond that point the Turbo or Blower with
an Electronic fuel control is absolutely the way to go.... Trust me... I am
setting up the Bonneville Camaro to run a Twin Turbo or a Blower motor...
and in the long term that is the Motor that is going to be in the spite....

Keith Turk    (ECTA 200mph club Life member)
Austin Healey 100, Bugeye, Box sprites, Bonneville Camaro ( Land Speed
Racer)

> From: Daniel1312@aol.com
> To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com; spridgets@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Supercharging...
> Date: Monday, October 11, 1999 2:15 PM
>
> Charles,
>
> A supercharger is essentially an engine drive mechanical pump for supply
more
> air to the engine the fuel can be added before or after the supercharger.
 By