Rear Hub Float

To: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rear Hub Float
From: chuckc <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 11:08:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Need some help here:

When I installed the rear bearings and pressed the hub back
on the rear axle, the bearing butts up against the shoulder
on the axle jes' fine.

But .. the hub seems to be able to move a little along the axle;
slides in and out maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch. So when I slide
it back (toward the center line of the car) about 1/4"
of bearing shell is exposed. When I slide it out (away
from the centerline of the car) the bearing is completely
within the hub.

The bearing does not move 'cause it's pressed against the
shoulder in the axle.

OTOH maybe it needs to float to be able to rotate freely?

Izzat ok? I'm assuming that, when the road wheel is on, the
lug bolts/nuts will snug it all ok. I just hate to see
end float like that. What did I do wrong?

chuck