Bingo!?, was: Re: brake clunk

To: Peter <nosimport@mailbag.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bingo!?, was: Re: brake clunk
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 20:56:50 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Peter may have it right (thanks for the thought, Peter). The pads do move a
bit in the calipers. I put more anti-squeal goo (blue goo from Permatex) on
the backs of the pads. The squeal and clunk went away. This is what
happened when I first installed the new pads. Maybe what is happening is
that the blue goo holds the pads while it's still gooey. When it dries, as
it always seems to do, the pads start moving.

Should the pads be able to move up and down in the calipers? I noticed that
the metal retaining clip arms are not evenly compressed against the pad
backing ends. The outermost arms (lowest and highest) press against the
pads, but the inner arms don't seems to be touching. This could allow the
pads to rotate slightly in the calipers, _maybe_. I guess the pads would
have the most motion if the brakes were applied during forward motion,
released at stop, and immediately reapplied in backwards motion (like when
I park against my brick stops in the garage).

Has anyone experienced this? Am I obsessing? (Though the clunk has not been
a constant with this car).

Thanks to all those who responded about possible looseness in the rear
cylinders. All circlips are present and accounted for, and the cylinders
have no more motion than when installed, though there is some motion, so it
could be part of the problem.

Jeff

At 1:19 PM -0500 11/30/98, Peter wrote:

> Jeff,
>       A quick thought that maybe the squeal and the clunk are related if a
> pad(s) is a tad too small in length it may move up and down in the caliper
> depending on rotor rotation and would also squeal as it is not snug in the
> caliper casting. It could also be a loose caliper on its mounting.
> Just some possibilities that would cause both souds.
> Good luck     Peter C
>

> At 08:32 AM 11/29/98 -0500, Jeff Boatright wrote:
> One of the front brake assemblies is also
> >squealing quite a bit. I put it down to new pads, but it's getting worse.
> >This of course could be totally unrelated.
> >
> >I'm trying to trace any looseness in the front suspension or brakes. I have
> >not found any loose bolts or other connectors, but I'm not sure how to
> >properly inspect. Any thoughts on this? Are there obvious
> >bolts/linkages/etc that I should re-check?
> >
> >Thanks for your advice,
> >
> >Jeff
> >
> Peter Caldwell
> 1 very rough Innocenti
> (the Sprite with an accent)
> among other LBCs and 4WDBCs
> Contact for: The Columbia County Bonspiel
>       Curling on 13 sheets @ 5 clubs in WI
>       Feb 5 - 7 1999

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision