Re: Off Topic -- rather long too....

To: "Richard D. Arnold" <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Off Topic -- rather long too....
From: Swift justice <samesq@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 10:14:51 -0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Richard D. Arnold wrote:

> >It will never work until we do what Shakespeare said" First we kill
> >all the lawyers!"
>
> Now, I could be wrong, but I think the proper quote from WS is:  "First
> thing we do, is shoot all the lawyers."  From _The Merchant of Venice_, I
> believe, and in reference to Shylock (where's that English instructor on
> the list?).

    I believe to take the entire phrase in context, the sentence should read
(and I paraphrase liberally)  "If we want to usurp the rights of the people,
first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"    (sorry, don't have my
collected works of Shakespeare at the office)

> I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV,

    I am an attorney, and I do play one at seminars, and on occasion talk
radio panels.

>  Unless we are willing to have people settle their problems
> outside the law (when reasonable attempts fail), we will always need
> lawyers.

    Or unless people are wiling to settle it themselves outside of the law,
which many are unwilling to do.  I do estate planning, trust administration
and probate (gifts and stiffs).  As long as the siblings will fight tooth and
nail over Mom's china set, they will call on me to sort it out.  I have many
stories and could go on and on, but the long and short of it is that when you
have a rich society with many material possessions, the people will make laws
to secure those possessions and that's where I come in.

> Lawyers are much like soldiers and police officers; nobody likes them
> until they need one....

    Despite this truth, I happen to think I'm a pretty nice guy...;-)

    Sorry for the digression, but after a while I get tired of all the
comments from the people who complain about attorney's.  Attorneys are just
like any other profession - there are just as many bad machine shop owners or
contractors (no jabs at Frank) as there are lawyers.

Steve.
present lawyer
former test car driver
former English teacher