Re: No spark under the hood!

To: CMLove <cmlove@hiwaay.net>
Subject: Re: No spark under the hood!
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 19:13:23 -0400
Cc: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
CMLove wrote:

> Listers;
>
> The next problem that just cropped up is with the '74 midget spark, I
> think.  I just need to talk and get some thoughts from others if you
> don't mind.  This list has no problem speaking their mind, do they?  Ha!
> Ha!
>
> The '74 runs really well most of the time, but during the last few weeks
> it has died on three occasions without any warning.  While driving the
> engine just stops firing and after playing with the car for 20 or 30
> minutes and not really changing anything, it starts back up as if
> nothing is wrong and purrs like a kitten.  Runs for maybe a day or so
> and does the same thing again.  Same result....
>
> After some thought I don't think it is the fuel system.  I think it is
> in the electricals.  I am thinking that it might be a bad coil.  Maybe
> after getting hot, it quits working and then cools down and starts
> again.  Any thoughts about how to proceed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Monty

One thing to check before replacing the coil is the rivets that hold the
low tension terminals to the coil.
I had a similar problem once and it turned out to be a loose rivet on
the coil.
It may also be a loose ground strap or other wire under the dizzy cap.
The thin ground wire tends to break with age. (don't we all?)
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ