Re: That time again...

To: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: That time again...
From: tzuchow@ibm.net
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 18:20:02 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Well, OK, it's not like I am an expert of any sort. But I do have to say
that I've been storing parts soaked with WD40 for probably all of my adult
life and never found a reason to think it was a bad idea. I do see that my
original post simply said "oil". I agree that long term storage soaked in
motor oil is probably a bad idea. On the other hand, in this case we're not
talking about years and years.

You recommended storing the parts soaked with brake fluid, but I would think
you would be better off storing them dry. The fluid will do nothing except
get old and gummy and draw every atom of moisture to the metal. A better
choice might be silicone brake fluid.

I am curious about the guy's crank-- was it damaged by the color change?
That orange color sure sounds ominous.

Let me add that I have absolutely no authority for my opinions on this. If I
need to be educated, please feel free to do so. <grin>

Tom Zuchowski