Re: Cam/timing question, 1500

To: Lancer7676@aol.com
Subject: Re: Cam/timing question, 1500
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 13:22:31 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Cams may or may not have the same timing as stock.  As a general rule only,
street cams tend to run at 110 deg ATDC, race cams tend to run from 103 Deg
ATDC to 100 deg ATDC.

The timing marks are dimples on the timing sprockets, not the cam.  the
notch in the cam is for a key that locks the cam pulley to the cam. If you
have an adjustable cam pulley, then you must use a protractor and dial gauge
to set the timing to the right setting as specified for the cam you are
using.  If you have a new cam, the specs will be with th cam.  If you have
an old cam, the specs might be in the Vizard book, or you can measure the
lobe center angle and set the cam based on that.  Most cams are symetrical,
so if you measure the total angle between intake and exhaust and divide by
two, that will be the timing for the cam.

brian