Re: Re[2]: extra lights

To: Dave Vrba <Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: extra lights
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:28:59 -0800
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,
get a generic automotive relais from a car parts store.  Make sure it
handles the wattage of your fan (see what the fan motor says on it).

The function of a single-throw relais is very easy to visualize.  There
are 4 connectors on it.  Two are for the low-amp circuit or "signal" and
the other two are for the switched circuit.  When you put power to the
signal side, the relais closes the switch on the switched side.

Connect one side of the signal circuit of the relais to ground.
Now run a wire from the fused side of your fuse box (decide if you want
the fan to run with ignition off or not - choose the appropriate fuse)
to the switch (toggle or thermostat on radiator), from the switch to the
remaining connection on the signal side of the relais.

Now run a heavy wire (with inline fuse) from the battery to one
connection of the switched side of your relais.
Run more heavy wire from the other connection of the switched side to
the fan motor.
Connect the fan motor's other side to ground with heavy wire.

Turn on fan and make sure it turns the right way.
Done.

Now why would you want an electric fan in the first place, they look a
little out of place, I think. :)
Ulix

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997 09:39:26 -0500 (Dave Vrba) wrote:

>     You mentioned a relay to control the new light circuit.  What
>brand,
>     type, configuration, amperage, etc. do you recommend and where can
>you
>     get them.  I'm not redoing my lights but am adding an electric fan
>and
>     want to use a relay.
>
>     Dave
>     '62 Sprite MKII  HAN6L14083