[Spits] MK4 1296 Spitfire, head gasket and crank pulley question

To: Spitfires List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spits] MK4 1296 Spitfire, head gasket and crank pulley question
From: Mark Sinclair <msinclair@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 22:43:11 -0700
Hello:

I am trying to get my Spitfire back on the road after a multi-year absence and
have a couple of questions that I hope someone can help with.

My first attempt ended up with water in the cylinders, especially 1&2.  My
engine is a MK4 FK 25234UE.  On checking things after pulling the head off it
looks like I may have used the earlier head gasket in error.  I'm going to
order the later head gasket to compare, but thought I would see if this
sounded familiar to anyone..?

I also noticed that the little metal arrow indicating TDC on my crankshaft
pulley has chipped off at some point.  It's not a problem for getting TDC
because there is an additional notch on the pulley for this.  I am wondering
if I should be concerned about engine balance.  The arrow is pretty small, so
I expect it doesn't matter much, but thought I would ask.

Thanks
Mark Sinclair
SF, CA
- on digest