Re: Frame Paint

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frame Paint
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 18:10:16 -0700 (PDT)
If you sandblast the frame, IMHO POR-15 is sort
of redundant.

On my '31 Ford, I sandblasted the frame and
and applied PPG's DPLF epoxy primer.  This
is very tough stuff.  Over that I applied satin
Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black, since that
was a close enough match to the original paint.

If you want to match the body color, and you are
willing to mess with isocyanates, you ought to
use a real 2k acrylic urethane paint.  This
will be far better than what the factory originally
applied.  (The original paint on my frame is
peeling off in places!) If you are going to paint the
body too, you can certainly use the same paint for the
body and the frame.

BTW, typical rattle-can primer is lacquer-based, and
has lots of talc so it can act as a filler.  Because
of this, it is very porus and will let moisture
right through, down to the metal.  it is really
totally unsuitable for applying directly to metal.
The epoxy primers do not have this problem, but
if you want to
have the frame perfectly smooth, you would have
to put a primer-filler coat over the epoxy so
you could sand it down.

I have been agonizing over paint decisions for my
Ford recently.  At the moment, the body shell is
on its side so I can sandblast the floorpan,
top and bottom.  After it is sandblasted,
I'll apply a coat of the DPLF, a coat or two
of acrylic urethane primer-filler to fill
in rust pits, and top it off with PPF Concept
(a high-end single-stage acrylic urethane),
with some flattening agent so it will look like
the original unbuffed lacquer.

The upper portion of the body will eventually get the
same treatment, but without the flattening agent.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

===     http://www.vtr.org