RE: Help!

To: "'Jerry Stasyszen'" <jerry.stasyszen@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Help!
From: "Rarebits" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 01:42:43 +0100

Hi Jerry,
Is this a proper Triumph/Churchill hub puller, or a generic heavy duty type?

> Does anyone have any tricks or trade secrets to get the hub
> to come off?

With a conventional puller you will be struggling for a long time. In
addition to the conventional screw mechanism, the Churchill tool has sliding
inner shaft. The puller needs to be tightened as far as possible, then the
end of the puller is hit hard, I use a 4lb lump hammer. There is a sliding
inner shaft within the tightening screw, the shock transmitted through this
is what ultimately releases the hub.
I have seen 10 ton presses regularly fail to move one of these hubs, 100 ton
presses are usually effective but often damage the hub in the process. If
you don't have a genuine Churchill tool or a correctly made copy, you are
going to need a lot of luck in releasing the hub,
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232