strange OD problem

To: "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: strange OD problem
From: "Peter Ryner" <pryner@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:48:50 -0500
List,
I recently experienced a problem with my OD and the ignition circuit.  Every
so often, without any warning my engine will stop.  It had to be electical
as it sometimes started right back up several minutes later.  I shot wires
and never found any shorts etc.  What I did find is that if I remove the OD
power wire from the coil the started immediately.  I could then replace the
wire and it would continue to run.  I tried moving the power wire from the
coil to the power side of the fuse box and experienced the same problem.
Until last week it only happened while the car was running.  Just last week
it wouldn't start unless I removed the wire.  As soon as I did it started
immediately.  I checked the wire for shorts etc., and found nothing.  That
power wire goes to the switch then to the relay.  It doesn't matter if the
switch was off or on.  Any ideas?  If it was a bad switch I would think it
wouldn't have the problem unless it was on.  If it was the relay it wouldn't
have the problem unless the switch was on either.  Ideas?
TIA
Pete