Chasing down O/D electrical gremlins

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Chasing down O/D electrical gremlins
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 21:29:33 -0700
Just got my recon O/D back yesterday and reinstalled the exceedingly heavy
transmission this afternoon.  I think I'm ready for an aluminum bellhousing.
;-)

First leg of the test drive went swimmingly.  O/D seemed to be working just
fine.  Flipped a u-turn to come home, no O/D.  Dead as a doornail.  This time,
it's not the hydraulics but the electrics.  When I was wiring up the inhibitor
switch, I noticed that it was *very* loose on it's mounting.  It was getting
too dark to really see how the thing is attached and after laboring for the
preceding few hours, I was too impatient to mess with it.  Besides, it was
working...  for awhile, anyway.

So now then, does anyone think that the loose inhibitor switch might be my
culprit?  Any good sequence suggestions for tracking down electrical problems
with the O/D?  I was thinking of starting by removing the wires from the
inhibitor switch, connect them together, then try the switch, just to see if I
get a click from the solenoid.  I've already taken a peek at the switch wiring
itself under the gearshift cap, and the wires appear to be fine.  I'm just
hoping my solenoid didn't fry itself.

TIA

Jeff