Re: New to the list...sort of.

To: David Mayer <celiracer81@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: New to the list...sort of.
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 18:25:52 -0600
David, Welcome back.

For a battery, check the physical size as it needs to fit in the battery
compartment, the terminals need to be normal posts on the correct sides
and not too tall that it would short on the bonnet. Capacity - book says
40/20 (for a 1500) but mine is 75/35 (in Ampere hours). No need to go to
any special place, I bought mine at at auto/sports store as it was on
sale and was the right (physical) size.

I believe my plug wires are a NAPA set. Bit longish but work fine,
depends on how much you want to spend. You can get really good, perfect
length like original but it will cost a lot more. I would go for quality
( i.e. lower resistance, better insulation) rather than look.

I buy the gear oil Staylube GL4 (transmission and differential) at NAPA.
And Castrol 20W50 for the engine, but others are fine ( I have used many
in the past). Just make sure you stay away from the GL5 bronze eating
gear oils. Coolant - I have Prestone something, but I also use Water
Wetter which helps in the hot (100F) weather.

Good luck, Oh and I used a lot of NAPA stuff as it was the only
autoparts store in town where I used to live when I got the car and was
convenient to get to.  Also I have used their oil filters. Seem OK. Now
where I live the NAPA is not as good and I shop around. Usually call up
and ask plus search the Sunday paper adds for the specials at the
autoparts stores.

Alan ('76 1500 with heat soak on the front carb - now cured?)