64 Spitfire finds yet another excuse to rest on the jack

To: "Spitfires Mail List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: 64 Spitfire finds yet another excuse to rest on the jack
From: "Chris & Kelly Sharp" <4sharps@lvcm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:23:11 -0700
Hey Spit Listers!

I've just about finished the rolling renovation of my '64 Spitfire4 (MK I).
Rebuilt engine w/ new cam, rebuilt transmission w/ MK II clutch assembly,
new exhaust system, new U-joints through out.  New floors, rocker panels,
shocks, trunions, paint, interior, Fiero seats...  the list goes on.  The
one think I think I haven't remove, replaced, repaired, remanufactured or
any other re-word to is the differential.  OK, I did replace the pinion seal
and top it off with 90W.

So, guess just went out?  You guessed it, the diff!  Got in it to go home
from work, dropped it in reverse, and heard terrible racket from the rear
end.  Trailered it home, put it on jackstands.  Symptom:  I can turn one
rear wheel without the opposite wheel or the drive shaft turning.

Long story short, I think I need a replacement diff unless it's easy to
rebuild the existing.  Suggestions anyone?

Regards,

Chris
'64 Spitfire 4 BFC26375L

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]