Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!

To: <Stardust8409@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: got the oil plug out now the real issue!
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 16:38:57 -0400
He He... (your 'jiggle' description)...

Yes...the only things 'moveable' from down in the pan
the crankshaft itself, and the 'big ends' of the piston
rods.  If you can move a rod left and right (drvr to passenger
across the width of the vehicle)... the bearing is shot
on that rod.
It's not uncommon to be able to move the rods a tiny bit
fore and aft (radiator to passenger compartment)
But any more than about a 'jiggles worth' (1/16"?) to probably
not good in the long run.

So replace them all while your there.  They can all be replaced
without tearing down or removing the engine.
Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com