Re: dist question

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: dist question
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 01:37:37 -0400
Hi Joe,

The part(s) arrived today - thanks very much.  I will likely be sending the
mounting block, if not the clamping plate also, back to you.  The clamping
plate is exactly the same as the one I already have, and there appear to be
a number of problems with it (no fault of yours - just seems that its
general design is not compatible with this particular Delco dist).  1.  The
Delco dist does not sit all the way down in the engine (causing the dist to
"pop" up out of the clamping plate and the clamping plate to slide in
between the dist body and the cast mounting block); 2.  There's precious
little room on the bottom of the Delco dist body for the clamping plate to
do its job;  3.  Even though the hole in the clamping plate is smaller than
the dist body, it doesn't seem to be small enough for the clamping plate to
work.

How does that Delco dist mount in its "normal" stock application engine??

If I decide to go the Pertronix Ignitor route, could it be mounted in the
original Lucas DM45 dist?  At least I *know* that one will mount in my
engine....

I've attached a Powerpoint sketch to show the differences in the two dists.
It may not make it through to the general list population (sure hope it
doesn't cause any problems), but I'll send it to anyone who requests a copy
(it's only a 21K doc - one page with simple line drawings).

My general conclusion is that this is *not* a simple, drop in swap.

Clark - How was the dist of yours that I tried different in its mounting
from these two??  I seem to recall that I had to use your cast mounting
block as mine was different somehow...

This whole situation is a bummer, too, because when I had the car running
the other night, it seemed to run very well and the timing was rock solid
steady.  With the possible exception of when Clark's dist was in the car,
it's *never* been that stable.

Oh well.  Time for bed so I can try to dream up a solution....  :-)

George P.