O/D relay

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: O/D relay
From: "Bóna, Péter, VF-Hungary"
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:31:53 +0200
The weekend I fried my D type overdrive relay. One of the points has
been badly burnt, so no chance to repair it. I found a local non LBC
supplier having relays, I think these are mostly horn or headlamp ones.
My question is, that what differences are between 3 and 4 point relays?
In spits O/D has 4, horn has 3 points relays. As I have checked on the
diagram, the O/D relay is connected by two wires to the 12V, a brown and
a white one. It seems to me that the brown is constantly on 12V as the
white only with the ignition on. So why is it like this? Do I really
need a 4 point relay or 3 point is good as well? And what about the
current? 20A should be enough or it is better to have more.

thanks for ideas,

peter

ps: 68' mk3