bleed nipples

To: "spitfire maillist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: bleed nipples
From: "Jack" <jkagy@bpsom.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:51:04 -0400
Got the brake system reassembled this afternoon, rolled the Spitfire out into
the sun to bleed the system and a problem cropped up.
I found the bleed nipple on the RR impossible to turn.  Part of the problem is
that the Owner's Manual in my Haynes catalogue doesn't really explain which
way to turn the nipple to open it.  I tried one of the front ones, where there
is a little more room, and found that the wrench is pushed forward to loosen.
(Hard to tell clockwise from counterclockwise when you might be on either side
of the thing being turned.)
Armed w/ this knowledge, I sprayed some rust dissolver on the thing and turned
it "forward."
It never loosened...just burred the flats.  Even a locking pliers wouldn't
loosen it.  I've put her back in the garage to let the dissolver work a while
for another try later in the week.
Am I turning it the right way or is there some diabolical rule that it should
loosen the other way on the rears?  Any other tricks?

JAK