Funky D-type O/D

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Funky D-type O/D
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:03:25 -0800
I've put about 75 miles on the car which has a D-type O/D, which was "rebuilt"
by the PO.  When I filled the gearbox, I used regular 90w hypoid gear oil.  I
had the car on jackstands so the front and rear of the car were level with the
ground, and let the excess oil drain out of the filler hole before inserting
the plug.  The O/D takes a second or two to engage, but disengaged instantly.
I seem to recall this as being SOP.  So far so good.  But on my drive home
this afternoon, the O/D started vibrating the drivetrain when engaging and
didn't feel like it was engaging fully, drifting in and out of operation
insofar as I could tell by the tach needle and engine sound.    The engine RPM
when engaging the O/D was maybe only 3000 or less.  Could this be the problem?
Should I top up the fluid again?  What's going on here?  Anybody?  The
inhibitor switch is working correctly, so I don't think I could have already
damaged the thing, but I'm admittedly a little concerned.  TIA

Jeff