Re: Exhaust questions: paste, wrap, needles

To: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Exhaust questions: paste, wrap, needles
From: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 08:31:35 -0700
James some answers to your questions:

>1) What does "assembly" paste do? Is it worth using?

I assume you mean that exhaust jointing compound in a tube. I got a tube
of Unipart silicate white stuff with my system from Rimmers. It seals
the joints but makes it hard to get it apart again, like when I pulled
the differential. I could not get the back section free and had to take
it apart at the front box.

>2) I want to wrap the 4-2-1 manifold with exhaust wrap to improve engine
>bay and cockpit heat, any tips, advice, downpoints?

It definitely helps keep the heat down, especially into the carbs. Make
sure you have a good heat shield.
Also put it on, with the header (manifold) off the car. Near impossible
once it's on.

>3) I'm going to need to change the needles in my twin HS4s, currently the
>only mod on my car are K&Ns - what do I need once I have the Bell system
>in place.

I have similar set up with the Rimmer quiet sports exhaust with 4-2-1
header and I think am running AAQ needles. I have K&N with twin HS4 and
I have the high compression version (US  '76) so very similar to your
potential setup and I am pretty happy with it. Saying that, I replaced
did everything at once so have no idea of individual affects. Never
tried with the old needles that were in the carbs as I rebuilt with new
jets and needles.

Alan