Monza header, accelerator cable, and brake fluid

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Monza header, accelerator cable, and brake fluid
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:16:37 -0500
No, the brake fluid isn't really related to the header or cable, just
different topics (in case you were confused...).   :-)

Ron wrote:  "Has anyone fit a Monza-style 4-1 exhaust manifold with a Weber
carb/manifold combination?  If so, have you run into or heard of any
fit/clearance issues with this combination?"

I put a Weber DGV on my Spit the first winter I owned it.  That and a Monza
4-1 header.  The intake manifold was by Cannon.  It was an easy, bolt on
conversion.  At that time, I didn't have much experience with anything and
it bolted right on, and started right up.  Even tuning was a breeze, though
I never got into changing jets or emulsion tubes and probably could have
gotten better performance *and* economy if I had.  Oh well....

To the lister trying to adapt the 1500 cable to the HS-4s - that's exactly
what I did.  I used a "ferrule" to terminate the cable.  A "ferrule" is a
little piece of aluminum tubing, the cross-section of which looks like a
figure-8.  You pass the cable through one side of the "8", then loop it back
through the other side and crimp.  And yes, I think I also had to cut off
some excess cable.  I never bothered with the sheathing, it's terminated in
a piece that clamps in the bracket to keep the cable from moving (this also
allows for some in/out adjustment of the cable to take up minor slack).  I
might have a photo I can scan and send to anyone interested.  I'll have to
look.  In order to get the detail, it'll probably be a big file, though
(~500K?).

Now then - brake fluid.  Many years ago, I did a complete brake job on the
car: new or rebuilt everything including calipers, flexible hoses, rear
wheel cylinders, master cylinder, pads/shoes/drums/rotors/etc., and - this
is key - DOT 5 silicon brake fluid.  At the time it was manufactured by GE.
Well, that brake job has stood up well, but I think the system might need
bleeding.  Unfortunately, I can't find the GE (purple?) DOT 5 fluid.  Is
there any other DOT5 fluid out there that will mix ok?  I've thought about
switching to the Castrol LMA DOT4, but don't know if it's just a matter of
bleeding until all the fluid's replaced or if I should completely redo the
system again.  I really don't want to do that now (maybe next winter), so
I'm hoping I can find the fluid and give it a good bleed.  Any suggestions??

One more question while I have your attention:  Can anyone tell me about
this Pertronix Ignitor thing?  I have a points distributor which I bought
from Joe Curry (not installed yet, Joe, but you'll hear about it when it is
- should be soon now that it's warming up here) which I wanted because I no
longer trust the electronics boxes of other ignition systems (i.e. Crane,
which is what's in there now).  But I heard about this Pertronix and it
sounds like it replaces points, but has no outside electronics box.  True?
Would that be the best of both worlds?  Oh, and when I install the points
distributor, should I also replace the Crane Fireball coil (40,000 volts or
so) with something "lower"?  I don't want the high voltage burning up the
points (if that's even a concern?).

Thanks a lot!

George P.