Re: Bodywork Prep

To: <JohnZissler@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Bodywork Prep
From: "Livia Haasper" <wilivhaasper@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:34:44 -0500
Hi John,
for a finishing putty we use Evercoat Metal glaze with good results,
however, when it comes to pinholes, they are hard to fill. If they are only
COVERED, NOT FILLED,  they will pop up during the painting process. By our
experience, the best method is using your finger and rubbing the metal glaze
into the pin holes. This way, the air can escape from the pin holes, filling
the hole completely with putty or glaze. If you try to fill these pin holes
using a spatula or putty knife, the air pressure within the holes will lift
the putty up again. When you sand this area, the holes will reappear. Trying
to fill the holes with primer only will not work.

 The final sanding should be done by blocking, using a 180 grid, primer
filler should be sanded up to 400 - 800 grid, depending on your finishing
requirements. Water sanding may give you a better result.

Cheers
Wilf and Liv