RE: Overdrive questions

To: "'Michael Hargreave Mawson'" <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Overdrive questions
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:36:51 -0000
---- Original Message -----
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>

I don't see what all the fuss is about with overdrives.   Just another
bloody thing to go wrong, IMHO.   Save your money for use when you need it.

For driving mostly on A-roads and back-roads I'd be tempted to agree with
you (although I tend to use O/D most of the time on A-roads too).  But since
James is going to be doing significant motorway mileage, I really think the
O/D is money well spent as long as it isn't exorbitant.  There was a period
when Daffy's O/D wasn't working when I was hammering up and down the A1(M)
half an hour each way every day, and I did feel a little uneasy about the
constant high engine revs, although I might have been influenced by the fact
that I was doing 80mph, no O/D, when the big end went a month after I bought
Daffy!

The impression I've had from a few years on this forum is that most, if not
all, O/D problems that anyone has had are either in the electrical supply to
the solonoid (usually cheaply and easily fixed), or caused by not enough oil
in the gearbox, again easily and cheaply fixed, and that shouldn't be
allowed to happen in the first place.

As for originality, I applaud your efforts at putting together a truly
original-spec car, and it's good that there are some around like you who are
doing this.  However, James' is already far from original with its engine
transplant (and who knows what else?), so it's not really spoiling an
otherwise historically original car to fit the O/D.

Richard & Daffy

Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the
sender
urgently and dispose of this email