Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive questions x-mac-creator="4D4F5353"
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:29:49 +0000
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, at around 14:44:51 local time, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hi listers,
>

>I've got to think through a strategy to allow me to commute to work this
>year. My engine went pop last year after 3 weeks of doing 90 miles a
>day. Question is, should I try and drive my Spit for possibly 3 months
>of the same journey this year.

Yes.   There is no reason why a Spitfire in reasonable nick shouldn't
cope with this.   Plenty of people commute throughout the year in
Spitfires - just ask Richard Gosling.   If the car is not in reasonable
nick, this is a good way of finding out where the problems are.   (Guess
how I know...)

> Thoughts of getting a banger and using
>that come to mind, but then I thought that the same amount of money will
>get my Spit fixed up with overdrive.

I'd keep that amount of money to one side in case you suddenly need to
do any more major surgery on the Spit.

>What sort of RPM will I be doing at motorway speeds...?

On the M25?   About 850 most of the time!   Seriously, in non-OD fourth,
you get about 9mph per 500 revs, so even at 70 you are only doing about
3900 rpm, which is not remotely going to be a problem unless you are
planning on driving for several hundred miles without a break (which is
not recommended for physiological reasons).   I don't see what all the
fuss is about with overdrives.   Just another bloody thing to go wrong,
IMHO.   Save your money for use when you need it.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671