Re: "Denatured Alcohol" and Flying

To: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: "Denatured Alcohol" and Flying
From: mporter@zianet.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 21:24:33 -0700
Alan Lemen writes:

> Geoff, try methilated spirits - I believe it's another name. Used to be
> what it was called in the UK. Denatured alcohol I had never heard of
> until I came to the US and found it when I was looking for meths. Have
> not actually ever bought it over here as yet so can't tell if it's the
> same. Just a thought that it may be called meths in Canada.

Same-same. Just to bring a little basic chemistry into this, denatured
alcohol and methylated spirits are one and the same, although the additives
may vary slightly. Both are primarily ethanol (the drinkable variety of
alcohol).

In order for it to be sold as a solvent or as a fuel, it has to be
"denatured" or more simply, adulterated so it can't be consumed. When used
as fuel, the ethanol is denatured with about 3-5% unleaded gasoline. For
solvent purposes, it is often denatured with methanol to make it
undrinkable, and perhaps a dye is added to make it an unattractive color.
Hence the name methylated spirits.

Cheers.