Question about engine idle speed.

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net '" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question about engine idle speed.
From: Bobby Bloyed <bobbyb@blbelectronics.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:22:52 -0800
 Hello,

   I have a question that maybe someone can help me with.  I have been
working on my 76 spitfire for a while.  I have completed most of my repairs
but I now have a problem with the idle speed.  When the engine warms up the
car idles at about 800 rpms.  If I continue to let it idle it will start
dropping idle speed in about 10 minutes. It starts to run a 700 then 600 and
then 500.  If I give it some gas for a bit and back off it will return to
the slower rpm and not the 800.  If I open the throttle with the idle screw
to 800 it will run there for a while and start doing the same thing again
going to 700 then 600 then 500 and so on.  Has anyone seen this problem
before?  I am not sure what exactly is causing the problem.  I looked in my
book and it says to look at the temp compensator as it may be defective.  I
looked at my carburetor and it was manufactured after those were used and
therefore does not require one.  I am kinda at a loss.  Any help would be
appreciated.  Thanks Bobby.