Re: First time at machine shop

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: First time at machine shop
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 11:08:35 +0000
On Sat, 23 Nov 2002, at around 19:54:41 local time, Larry Vaughan
<lvaughan@pldi.net> wrote:
>Hi listers,
> I have not used a machine shop for anything but turning brake drums, rotors
>or flywheels, until friday November 15, black friday.

> I must say I am astonished. I thought the mark up on parts was a thing of
>the past. Hell anyone can get parts from several places nowadays!!!!

Dear Larry,

You are being asked to pay the machine shop for the services it is
providing: the services of a mechanical fitter; the services of a
machinist, and the services of a parts buyer.   The machine shop is in
business to make a profit.   It will charge its fitters out at a higher
rate than it pays them.   It will charge parts out at higher prices than
it pays for them.   This is basic.   If you don't want one of these
services, say so, and do the work yourself.

As far as parts supply is concerned, I don't know of any garage that
isn't happy to fit parts sourced by the owner - however, plenty refuse
to give a warranty in these circumstances.   Partly, this is because
they have no control over the quality of the parts supplied; mainly,
though, it is to encourage you to let them make their ten per cent (or
whatever) on parts.   Take your pick.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FM105671