Re: Stella Lives!

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stella Lives!
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 16:22:37 -0500
You can get new jet bearings: the part in which the jet slides.  The ones I got
from Rimmer were nice OEM ones from Rover.  Also, examine the old jets and see
if they
were really worn.  If not, maybe you should put them back.
Beware: Many rebuild kits have parts of worse quality than the originals.  So
you
end up replacing somewhat worn but well-made part with a new piece of junk.

Also, you can sometimes find genuine OEM jets that come with all the little bits
that attach the little hose to the fuel bowl.

Also check that the needles are centered in the jets.  If the jets pop up the
rest of the way if you raise the piston and needles, then the side of the needle
is rubbing against the side of the jet bore, while will wear out both parts in
no
time flat.

If you adjust the jet centering, you really need to replace the thin, soft
aluminum
gasket/washers between the jets and the carb body.  You should get
a half dozen spares.  It is very hard to adjust the jet centering without
replacing the washers.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit