Question about fuel pump causing rich mixture at idle.

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net '" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Question about fuel pump causing rich mixture at idle.
From: Bobby Bloyed <bobbyb@blbelectronics.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 10:58:45 -0800
I have a 1976 triumph spitfire.  The mechanical pump failed and the previous
owner replaced it with a electric fuel pump.  My question is will the
electric fuel pump increase the fuel pressure to the carb and cause the
mixture to be slightly rich at idle?  I have rebuilt the carb and I also
blocked off the choke circuit to make sure it was not causing a problem.  I
also completely closed the decel valve to make sure it is not leaking.  The
vehicle does not have a catalyst as it is a Federal Vehicle. On a emission
analyzer I see(with the air pump connected):

Idle
  HC 460
  CO 3.6%

At 2500
  HC 63
  CO .46%

Any assistance would be appreciated as I have to pass a california DYNO
test.  Thanks Bobby.