Re: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc

To: Adam Rodnitzky <arodnitzky@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Thrust Washer/Rear Main Seal Replacement on 1296cc
From: Douglas Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:50:55 -0400
Hard to say how many miles I have.  The odometer has rolled over though.
But is it the original?  I cannot be sure...  Myself I have done about 2k miles
per year over
the last 11 years.

Here is how to measure:  Set up a dial indicator on the front of
the engine to measure the forwards and backwards motion of
the front pulley.  Use a pry bar or a piece of wood to push
the pulley backwards.  (You can pry against the roll bar).
Zero the dial indicator here.  Then push down the clutch pedal,
which will force the crankshaft and pulley forwards.
If the wear was really bad, you could easily measure the movement
with a good ruler instead of a dial indicator.

Alternative method:  Grab the pulley with both hands (removing the radiator
would help) and shove it forwards and backwards.  If you can feel and
hear a significant fore-and-aft movement of the crankshaft, I would be
concerned.

Doug