Ignition problem

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition problem
From: "David Lover" <dlover@mn.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 20:39:41 -0500
Well, I knew this day would come. I even prepared myself mentally for
this day. The problem is that its been well over a year since I bought
my '74 Spitfire (1500), and I have not had a single problem. Granted, I
usually only drive it a few hundred miles a year. But I thought I might
have found the one Triumph that wouldn't have any problems. Yeah,
right...

I haven't started much diagnosing yet, but I thought I would ask the
group for any tips before I begin. I'm very technical, but not very
mechanical. In fact, one reason I bought this vehicle was to help me
gain a better understanding of the inner workings of a automobile. I
know the theory, but not the real life. Here's the story. See if
something comes flying out at ya.

Been a busy summer, so I haven't had a lot of time to take it out
recently (maybe 3-4 weeks ago). I get in today and try to start it. Very
weak battery (maybe related to this, but I have been assuming that it is
the aftermarket radio that the previous owner had in but isn't working).
Engine turns over a couple times but nothing that will get it going. So
I jump it. Starts right up. It dies within 4 seconds. I figured I didn't
choke it just right. Turned the key again. It turns over but no interest
in starting. Now, I think I might have flooded it. I let it sit for a
few minutes, and try again. Still turns over but it isn't even trying to
start. I wait over an hour. Same thing. Turns over nicely, but no start.
I notice that my ignition light is on all the time (before, during and
after attempted starting). Not sure if this means battery is weak or if
there is a major ignition problem.

My first planned troubleshooting is first to check for spark (to rule
out ignition coil?). Then I will check for fuel coming into the carb. If
those check out, I'm screwed. I will have no clue what to do next. Jeez,
even if they don't check out, I'm not sure if I will know what to do
next.

Any thoughts or advice or mechanics in Chaska, MN will be most greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!