Blowing alternators -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Blowing alternators -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 07:21:19 -0700
Any body have any good ideas as to why I am blowing alternators?  This is
an AC Delco 63 amp and I've gone through two in the span of a couple weeks.
 This setup has been fine for many years now until  this incident -The
electrical system appears to be in fine shape, no shorts, opens, unusual
additions etc.  The ignition lamp is working, and the wiring is fine.  No
additional loads have been imposed and at this point I'm beginning to
suspect the battery however it's only a couple of years old itself and all
cells full- but that's is all I can think of - unless you guys can come up
with something else - When it goes the ammeter jumps around wildly between
charging at a couple amps and many amps, and I can tell when because the
heater fan motor rev's as the engine rev's increase meaning the regulator
went and the voltage is increasing -
Any ideas??