Re: whistling belt???

To: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Subject: Re: whistling belt???
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 23:55:05 -0400
Sprinkle some water on the belt and see if it makes the squeal go away for
a few seconds.  If so, I suggest simply replacing the belt.

In the past, I have tried "belt dressing" spray, but its effect was temporary.
Also, I once put on a new belt and it squealed over 4000 RPM no matter how tight
it was.  I chucked it and got a different brand and everything was OK.

Out of kindness to my alternator and water pump I keep my belt
rather loose, much looser than newer car manuals suggest.
If I try to turn the alternator pulley fairly hard by hand, I can,
with the belt slipping.  (Do not do this test with the engine running!)
But I never get any squealing.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit