Definitions - incorrection

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Definitions - incorrection
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 19:50:13 -0700 (PDT)
Once again, I must humble myself and must plead
ignorance.
I have to make a correction on that question that I
made earlier about which phrase is grammatically
incorrect.

I stated to several individuals that Vintage was
synonymous with "made in the year or time frame of".
So if someone stated that they had a vintage Mustang,
one should ask them what vintage?
You must complete the statement with what year or time
frame it is "vintage" of. In the way of a vintage WW2
aircraft or vintage '84 chateau lafite rothschild. To
be proper, one must state "I own a vintage '68
Mustang".
And although the above is partially correct, it is not
the only definition. There are other definations of
vintage that I came across on www.M-W.com : "of old,
recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or
quality." and when used with a proper noun "of the
best and most characteristic".
So you can call something "vintage" without
quantifying a time frame if it implies it's own
notable time frame or preceeds a proper noun to
describe it as the best and most characteristic of
it's type.
By that definition, "I own a vintage Mustang" is
correct, as it is stated.
There was no wrong answer to the quiz. They were all
grammatically correct. Sorry for creating a teaser
that had no solution.

(Now if it turns out the guy had an 85 Mustang and was
referring to it as a "vintage", you have my permission
to beat them about the head and shoulders with a heavy
club like object.)

-Terry
P.S. Vintage in Merriam-Webster is a synonym for
"classic".
LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com