car shows

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: car shows
From: "John & Tracy Knox" <jknox@erie.net>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 20:32:33 -0400
I think there has been a slow change over the last ten years.  We have seen it
at the roadster factory summer party, and others.  There are far more ground
up restored trailer queens instead of the daily drivers.  One of the joys of
Triumphs was that owners didn't take themselves too seriously.  The attitude
was, hey it's a triumph not a Ferrari.  To this day my favorite two cars were
TR-3's that had been owned and driven since new or almost new by the same
peple.  The one drove to the party from upper Michigan.  The car was well
used, and had never been restored.  It had been modified here and there and
was a great car.  The guy could tell a story aboujt every dent.  The owner was
a great guy, and fun.  The other was an older guy  that had worked for Ford.
He had adapted all kinds of free parts to his car.  While others around him
were argueing over correct bolt colors, etc he was proudly showing off all of
the neat little things he had done to fix all the annoying problems of an
imperfect car.  Really reminded me what loving a car was all about.

Sometimes the best cars at the shows are in the parking lots.  I agree that
there should be a special parking lot at least at shows for people that are
coming in a classic car, but maybe aren't interested in formal showing.  I
hate walking up to a beautiful car and finding out that the guy (or lady)
hasn't put any more into the car than money.  I like talking to people and
hearing stories.  I hear fewer and fewer stories and more posing and posturing
about who knows more about the correct this or that for whatever year.  It's a
shame.

John

---