Centering Steering Rack

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Centering Steering Rack
From: "Pettis, Ward (NIDCD)" <pettisw@ms.nidcd.nih.gov>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2002 15:51:43 -0400
While rebuilding the front suspension, I took out the steering rack to clean
and paint.   The instructions for putting it back said to look for the
dimple or spot in the hole on the rack to center the rod.  I've gone back
and forth several times and was never able to find the dimple.  Does the
dimple or spot wear off?

I went ahead and counted the number of turns and centered the rack that way.
No problem, right?

BTW, I've been trying to locate my missing pressure warning switch to
complete my brake work (new front lines, new calipers, etc).  Not that I
plan to but has anyone tried bypassing pressure warning switch?

Ward
'76 Spitfire