Layshaft needle bearing problems

To: <spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Layshaft needle bearing problems
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:19:15 -0400
Just a final note on the problem I had with poor quality (oversized) needle
bearings which irreparably damaged my gearbox layshaft and laygear.  I got a
call from Nigel at SpitBits the other day.  Though I told him in an email that
I couldn't hold him responsible for the damage, he confirmed on his own that
some oversized needle bearings probable did get sent out.  He is basing this
on my photos and emails and his comunications with sources in the UK.  He has
offered to send me a set of NOS needle bearings, which he has aquired from a
friend in the UK who had purchased a large stock of NOS transmission parts for
his business of gearbox repair.  He is also going to locate either a good used
or an NOS layshaft and laygear.  He offered to get me new ones, but I think
I'd prefer good original used or NOS.

I would like all to know that Nigel, who owns SpitBits, has been very helpful
and has kept in touch with me throughout my quest for answers as to the cause
of my gearbox damage.  He is an honorable and knowledgable supplier for
Spitfire and GT6 parts.  I highly recomend SpiBits.  The problem with
oversized needle bearings is not anything SpitBits could have prevented.  I've
checked with another supplier who admits they have had similar problems in the
past and won't sell the needle bearings.  They just use original old ones in
their rebuilds.

I hope the information I've provided to the list can help others rebuilding
their trannys.  Thanks to all for your patience in waiting through my numerous
posts on the subject.

Mike    http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross    updated 4/10/02

'63 Triumph Spitfire
'66 Triumph Spitfire