Re: Layshaft problem

To: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@prodigy.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Layshaft problem
From: "Tom O'Malley" <tom.omalley@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 12:39:32 -0400
Mike writes...

>I took the damaged layshaft and another from a similar GT6 tranny that had
>about 80k miles on it, but with no damage, to a manufacturing and heat
>treating company in Dayton, Ohio.  They did a Rockwell test which in no way
>damages the shaft, yet tells them the hardness.  I observed the measurements
>and according to the engineer, the old original shaft had a Rockwell number of
>62; the new damaged shaft had a number of 64.

Just to add a datapoint.  Several years back I bought a new layshaft
for my single-rail spit tranny, sourced from a UK supplier.  It tested
out at rockwell 48 where the original was rockwell 58.  (we have a
tester where I work)  Since the original showed no wear I reused that
one.  It was probably just a case of one part that skipped the heat
treat process.  Other parts from this vendor were satisfactory.

Cheers!
Tom O'Malley