Re: Tax Disc . Now Bad Roads, Now Self Serve Gas!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tax Disc . Now Bad Roads, Now Self Serve Gas!
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 09:12:11 +0100
In article <11EEFA4B6844D511A0E70008C71E9F018F3999@ABDEXH01>, Richard
Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com> writes
>Hey, at least there's a choice in much of the States!
>
>In Europe petrol pump attendants disappeared about 20 years ago.  Most
>people now probably don't even remember what it was like to have someone
>operate the pump for them.  It's a problem for the driving disabled, as
>there some petrol stations will send someone out (presumably the till
>attendant, leaving everyone else waiting and locked out of the shop) if they
>honk their horn, but even these are few and far between.

There are still a few places in UK where there are petrol pump
attendants.   I remember calling in on a petrol station a year or so
ago, and being gobsmacked when someone came out to operate the pump for
me.   Irritatingly, I can't remember where it was!   I think the shock
must have been too much for my brain...

ATB

--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"