Overdrive Temperature Question

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net, spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Overdrive Temperature Question
From: Nolan <foxtrapper@softhome.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 15:13:43 -0400
I've been thoroughly enjoying my J-type overdive.  It works fine, no
slipping or anything (though there are some funny rattles and squeaks)

My question is temperature, because boy does that thing get hot!
 Whether I'm using the overdrive or not doesn't seem to matter, the rear
end of the overdrive unit itself gets blisteringly hot in a few miles,
and stays that way.  Is it supposed to get this hot?  You can touch it,
but only for a mere split second.  It never missteps in operation, it
just gets hot, very hot.

There's also some interesting squeaks and light backlash rattles.
 Mostly noticeable when I change direction (as in going into reverse).
 Minor sounds, ones I'm figuring are the various components of the
overdrive itself.  Just interesting.

The only downside I can find to the overdrive is how it changes the
shifter.  The position is different, and not as readily to hand, and the
shifting is a whole lot more vague then the non-od gearbox.  But being
able to relax the engine into overdrive when going over 50 mph, that
makes it worth while.  Especially with the torque of a 1500.