Re: Rear Clunk over bumps, leaking everywhere

To: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: Rear Clunk over bumps, leaking everywhere
From: "Greg Schluge" <gschluge@cstone.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 00:09:30 -0500
Thank you for the thoughts, I finally got around to pulling the rear end
apart and found it was the rear spring.  The inner spring was tight to the
suspension and the busings were good.  However the outer spring was loose.
There are supposed to be little rubber buttons on each leaf that press
against the next leaf.  There were no rubber buttons left.  Apparently you
have to grease this spring.  Tomorrow, I pull the roadspring out, renew the
8 rubber buttons, grease it and put it back together.  The rest of the
suspension is tight.

I am also taking out the diff, part of the "leaking everywhere" problem.

I have had a tough time keeping fluids in my 76 spit.  First the PO painted
the inside of the timing cover and put a seal in with a sledge hammer.
Never the less it fell out, oil all over the front of the engine, fixed.
Next it started spewing oil between the head and block, new head gasket, and
sealed around the HP oil passage.  Next, all three diff seals started
spewing oil, working on that now.  Future, oil is spewing out the rear
engine seal, pulling the engine out next.  I think I am going to leave the
transmission in.  Any thoughts.  I think I will put a new seal in the
transmission output shaft.  That is the only other place I can think oil can
spew out in the future?!

In additon to oil, the break master cylinder, clucth master cylinder, and
the clutch slave cylinder have in the past spewed dot 4 all over everything.
Looking forward to Rear break cylinders and front calipers in the future.

I know spitfires dont leak oil, they are just marking their territory, in my
case, my spit is covering its territory.