British wiring...an enigma!

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: British wiring...an enigma!
From: "Mike Ross" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 18:40:49 -0500
I got my GT6+ engine and gearbox installed and running after rebuild.  However
my windshield wipers and an electric fan in front of the radiator which is
wired to the rear window defroster switch were not working.  I pulled the dash
and checked all the wiring and switches for continuity, checked fuses, checked
motors to the fan and wipers....all were OK.  I noted that my wiring loom
appears to be that of a GT6 Mk3, but some of the switches are from a GT6+.  I
also noticed that a couple of wire colors didn't match either the Mk3 or the
GT6+.  These didn't appear to be add on wires either; instead of being white
and black they were white and green.  I couldn't find anything wrong. Finally
I decided to give up after about an hour.  Just before leaving I turned on the
wiper switch and THE WIPERS WORKED!  So did the electric radiator fan!  I
guess the only thing it could have been was a loose connection.  I swear
though, everything looks just as it did.  I didn't see any corrosion or loose
wires.  I had retried the switches several times during the search for a
cause.  Truely an ENIGMA!

Mike           http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/
'63 Spritfire
'66 Spitfire