RE: Setting timing.

To: "'Bowen, Patrick'" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>,
Subject: RE: Setting timing.
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:05:11 -0000
Patrick,

Having the distributor gear 1 tooth off will not give what you are seeing.
All it will mean is that the distributor body would be twisted further round
to give you a particular timing setting.  Since the dizzy body can rotate
all the way round, it really doesn't matter where it is to get the correct
timing.

The only reason that you could be getting a wrong reading for your timing is
if the pulley gauge is wrong - after all the strobe will flash at the moment
of spark, whatever is going on with the ignition itself.  If the pulley is
in the wrong position, or the scale you read the timing off, then you'd get
the wrong reading.  There should be a Woodruff key to lock the pulley in the
correct position, but I suppose it is possible it was left out during a
previous rebuild - NOT a good idea, as that will also allow the cam drive
sprocket to slip, so letting the camshaft get out of its correct timing.

My guess is that your timing really is that advanced.  If I remember right,
you are not in a position to road test your car right now?  It is possible
to tune an engine that far advance when it is not loaded, without seeing
adverse affects - once you get on the road I suspect you will find the
engine is too far advanced.

Also, just to clarify one thing - you say that "If I rev the engine the
timing does continue to retard pehaps another 15 degrees" - are you sure you
mean retard, the engine should advance with increased revs?

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email