Losing our tempers... Bodywork-wise

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Losing our tempers... Bodywork-wise
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:55:07 EST
All this discussion of the effect of heat on metal brings to mind a question
I've wondered about often.

While it's often stated that the only way to stop rust is to cut out the
affected portion of the car and weld in a replacement section, it seems to me
that I've heard that the welding process would destroy the temper of the
surrounding metal, making it more likely to rust sooner. Putting aside any
rust-proofing that might be done after the repair, is this true or not? If it
is true, wouldn't it make sense to replace panels rather that repair them?
Comparing the cost of D-I-Y replacement panels to the cost of professional
bodywork and welding, that is.

Just wondering,

Tom Burke
80 Spit