Re: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?

To: "James Carruthers" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Engine Swaps - P-51 Mustang?
From: Ken Strayhorn <ken@dukecomm.duke.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:48:31 -0500
James Carruthers noted:

>Im sure alot of you know this, but I didn't - The P-51 Mustang was
>rubbish until they put a Rolls-Royce Merlin engine in it. And that it
>was designed by Americans for the British?

Another fan of the History Channel!  As far as I am concerned,
the cost of the dish is money well spent if only for the
History Channel . . .

Anyway, for those of you who find this thing interesting,
please check out the newsgroup rec.aviation.military where
this topic is currently being discussed.  Many knowledgeable
folks post to that group, including several men who worked
on Merlins and Allison engines during WWII.  One fellow
in particular has made a hobby of collecting aircraft
manuals over the years and often quotes extensively from
them.

For gearheads like us, it's wonderful.  And you may laugh,
as I did, at the great lengths that mechanics went to to
keep those aircraft working - just like fans of a certain
LBC.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC