RE: just typical! [gearbox and engine]

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: just typical! [gearbox and engine]
From: Richard Gosling <richard.gosling@exprogroup.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:57:59 -0000
James,

Sorry to hear your latest woes!  Not really what you need right now.

Without hearing the engine, it is hard to say what is your problem.
However, it may be pretty simple, so I would suggest the following
diagnosis:

First, check that everything that attaches to the engine is screwed on
tight, check EVERY bolt - diff, alternator, water pump, fuel pump, carbs,
anything that could rattle.  Check for any other loose bolts in the engine
bay - master cylinders, wiper motor, radiator, engine mounts.

Second, check for anything that could be rubbing - I'm thinking really of
the solid brake and clutch pipes - are they running close to something they
could start to rattle against with a bit of vibration.  Less likely, as I
imagine that would not make too much noise.

Third, start the engine up, and just try and listen fot where they noise
sounds like its coming from.  Not always easy, but worth a try.

Fourth, take the rocker cover off and check all the valve rockers - that
they are not loose, that they have the correct clearances etc.  E-mail and
ask if you are not entirely sure what I'm talking about here (I don't know
exactly what your level of experience/inexperience is here!).

If you haven't found anything yet, you may be looking at something more
serious, that involves engine dismantling.  I pray that is not the case...

As for the gearbox, I have to say I am not optimistic.  My only experience
with gearboxes is taking one out and putting a new one in, so I am not
really the expert to guide you here.  A fully reconditioned gearbox from
Rimmers is just short of #250, other dealers may be a little cheaper
(usually are).  You could try re-building yourself - people claim it is not
that hard, but you will probably spend at least 2/3 of that Rimmers price on
parts anyway.  Also, unless you don't mind taking your car off the road
while you do it, you will need a second, scrap gearbox to re-build while
your dodgy one stays in the car - probably a further #30 or more from a Spit
dismantler (plus postage, unless you are near one).

To simply replace a gearbox is not hard - you don't need a lot of technical
skill or experience, just some standard tools, the courage to try it, and a
friend to help you.  I have written up the procedure - look at
http://www.totallytriumph.net/dcforum/DCForumID45/35.shtml

Good luck!

Richard & Daffy
Important Notice:
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally-privileged.
If you have reason to believe you are not the intended recipient, any
disclosure,
copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on
it is prohibited and may be unlawful and you are requested to contact the sender
urgently and dispose of this email