Re: my spit no go

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: my spit no go
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:10:24 -0400
>From the way your post reads, I'm assuming this came on suddenly
and I'm also assuming that you're describing a severely slipping
clutch, with just enough engagement to make an unhappy mechanical
noise, but not to actually move the car.

I've had this happen twice.

Once, the rubber in the clutch master cylinder swelled so that
foot pressure was strong enough to disengage the clutch, but the
clutch spings weren't strong enough to re-engage it.  This was a
while ago but ISTR that pedal didn't come all the back up which
I'm thinking would be quite noticeable to you.

The other time the disc disintegrated and one of the cushioning
springs wedged in between the disc and pressure plate preventing
disengagement.  At that point, there's nothing for it but pulling
the tranny and replacing the clutch B-(.

If it is something with the clutch, it will probably be obvious once
you pull out the tranny.

Good luck!

Greg Rowe