OK it runs for a short trip, then backfires and spits and

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: OK it runs for a short trip, then backfires and spits and
From: "John and Chris" <peacox1@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 12:45:30 -0400
OK I figure while I have it I may as well try to get it running right.  Here
is the problem.

First thing starting it, it spits and sputters and pops through the carbs.  I
sit and let it run for a minute and it seems ok.  A little sluggish, but not
too bad.  After about 5 miles or so it completely dies.  If I feather the gas
it stays running but begins backfireing out the tailpipes like a shotgun going
off.  If I let it go it will stall.  If I floor it, it backfires a few times
and sometimes starts running ok again, but only for about 500 ft or so and
then it starts backfiring again.

I would like to drive this thing once in a while, but I am not having much
luck here.  I have allready installed new plugs, wires, points, cap and rotor.
I adjusted the floats and have gotten the mixture as good as I can.  I would
not think it was this hard to get something so simple running right.

TIA
John