Re: Miscellaneous questions (lots of miscellaneous questions)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miscellaneous questions (lots of miscellaneous questions)
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:28:49 +0100
In article <006401c13492$9ec36680$0400000a@shack>, BillG
<wrgingerich@qwest.net> writes
>Greetings, Fellow Listers,
>
>The assembly of FrankenSpit continues, and I have several miscellaneous
>questions.  So let's address these by area as we go on a virtual tour of the
>front of the car.

I can't answer most of these, and I've been waiting for the experts to
jump in and answer them for you, but since they haven't, I'll have a
crack at the one I *do* know something about...

>Clutch cylinders - Absolutely no instructions were in the rebuild kits for the
>clutch cylinders.

That is something of a bugger.   I've only done a Master Cylinder, so
don't know what goes on inside the Slave, but the M/C is composed of
many fiddly little parts that are not immediately obvious when covered
in the filthy gunge that is composed of hydraulic fluid and decomposed
rubber.   Suggest you contact the manufacturers of the kits and ask for
a set of instructions.   Failing that, reasonable diagrams can be found
in the Haynes Manual (pp. 134 and 135).   The diagrams are the key to
the job, as the instructions boil down to, "take it to bits; clean the
bits; throw away anything you have a replacement part for; re-assemble
using replacement parts."

>  Since I've never done this, I'm not real sure how to
>proceed.  First of all, the clutch seemed to work OK before, so doing the
>cylinders is more of a
>while-it's-apart-what-the-hell-why-not-maybe-I'll-use-DOT5 situation.  Do I
>need to hone the bores, or can I just install the new parts?

You will not discover whether the bores are in an acceptable condition
until you get the cylinders apart.   If there is no visible corrosion,
and the bore is smooth and unblemished, all you need to do is flush it
out with new hydraulic fluid.   If there is a small amount of corrosion
at one end, this can be cleaned off with emery paper.   If there is
corrosion along the whole bore, don't bother trying to get it honed: buy
a new one.   As an added bonus, this will also save you the hassle of
trying to work out which fiddly little doo-dad goes where...

ATB
--
Mike
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea"